Thursday, July 06, 2006

If 30 is the new 20, then I am a player in the new dating scene.

Mommies meeting Mommies. Sounds dirty, no?

Well, it is dirty. But now how you think. It’s sticky hands, grape jelly stains, and Kool-Aid mustache dirty. I’m talking about finding the perfect playdate. Parents of toddlers desperate to find friends within walking distance who have kids the same age. Friends who will understand that your beer fridge is now stocked with juice boxes. Who won’t freak out if you throw a poopy diaper into their trash. And who plan all social activities between 4 and 7 p.m. - with noodles as the main entrĂ©e.

Ok, I’m not really all that desperate for friends. But since moving to our new house 8 months ago, we’ve been looking for other families in the neighborhood who had little kids. Our hopes were dashed at our annual homeowners meeting this winter, when we discovered that most of the people in our subdivision were offering up their grandchildren as babysitters. And my fears were not lessened this spring as time and time again Sweet Pea and I had the playground to ourselves. I just figured we moved into an older neighborhood. Both the houses, and the residents. But on Tuesday a glorious thing happened. We had a Fouth of July parade! It was fantastic, with a fire truck leading the way and an army of kids on streamer laden bikes racing around the cul-de-sacs. And then, from across the street, we spotted them. A nice couple with a double stroller. They were totally checking us out too. And slowly made their way over to introduce themselves.

“Hey, we’re Sue and Rob*. Do you live around here?”

“Yes! We do. Right over there. You?”

“Yeah, the tan house on the corner. (Pause) How old? (nodding at my daughter)”

“Two, yours?”

“This one is three, and he’s nine months. We should get them together sometime.”

OMG, WE GOT ASKED OUT. I didn’t get digits. But Sue told me to drop by anytime. Their house is on the way to the playground, so it would be really easy to do. So what’s the protocol? It’s been two days. If I drop by tomorrow do I seem too eager? If I wait until next weekend will she think I blew her off? What if we go to the park and she never calls again? Or what if she’s weird and she won’t leave me alone? She didn’t seem weird. She seemed nice. And friendly. And well dressed.

I think I’ll drop by. Maybe bring her some Teddy Grams.

~Clover

*Names have been changed, blah blah blah.

No comments: