Friday, October 27, 2006


I’m not really a germaphobe. BUT. You knew there would be a “but” didn’t you? I mean, there has to be. Because why would I just throw that out there? “I’m not really a germaphobe. In fact, right now I’m licking the soles of someone's shoes. The End.”

Anyway, I’m not. Public restrooms, for example, don’t cause me undo amounts of stress. I mean, I wash my hands. I use the little paper seat thing-o’s. But I don’t spend the entire visit trying not to touch a single surface, and hovering over the seat in a squat that would strain the quads of a veteran Cirque de Soleil cast member. (Because I’m lazy. Duh.)

I do have exceptions though. Like the ladies room in the Alaska Airlines terminal of LAX is just gross. I figured that has something to do with volume. I mean, there have got to be a couple thousand people in and out of those stalls every day. So, natch, it’s gonna be a little oogy.

After yesterday, I think I’m going to have to apply that volume = ickyness theory to the entire city of Los Angeles. At the risk of sounding really small-town-Idaho, I am just gonna lay this out there – that place is NASTY. And it’s such a bizarre juxtaposition too. There is the beautiful horizon that should be sitting in front of a blue sky backdrop, but the sky is hazy brown. There are gorgeous palm trees, mango trees, tropical flowering shrubs and thick green vines growing everywhere. But the sides of the roads are piled high with garbage. Graffitti is everywhere. They have to put razor wire around street signs to keep little thugs from climbing up and spray painting all over.

So my day in LA begs me to ask the question – WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?? California is gorgeous in all the places where people haven’t screwed it up. It’s really sad. I can’t wrap my brain around why anyone would intentionally ugly up the place where they live.

~Clover

No comments: