Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I am so on top of things this holiday season I can hardly stand myself. I wrapped the last of the gifts today. I’m not in charge of cooking anything. The house looks great (we had our company party here on Friday night.) It’s like I can…RELAX or something. Only I suck at that. So instead I’m obsessing about whether or not I really got everything done.

And so, rather than obsess on my blog, I’ve decided to indulge my inner Christmas Junkie and post my answers to one of those email thingys going around. I would love to read other people’s answers too. So if you post yours, leave me a comment and let me know.

1) Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate – Both. I even have some Egg Nog flavored Cocoa powder around here somewhere. Before I lost 25 lbs and then cared about what my hips look like, M and I used to buy that Holiday Nog stuff starting in mid November. Yum.

2) Santa, discuss. – Santa is all we talk about around here right now. Ok, well, and Baby Jesus. Which is cool, but I can hardly take credit. Sweet Pea is very into babies, Baby Jesus specifically. She makes me tell her the Christmas story every night. And she makes me sing parts of it. And then she says, “I love Baby Jesus.” Which is good. I can use all the help I can get.

As for Santa, she is still slightly terrified of sitting on his lap, but she sat up there long enough to whisper that she would like a Cinderella dress thankyouverymuch. It strikes me as odd that I spend 11 months of the year keeping her away from strange old men with candy, and in December I prep her for the occasion like it’s the Bar exam. But whatevs. When Santa visits our house he will leave 1-2 choice items and a full stocking by our fireplace. The rest of our gifts get wrapped before Christmas and go under the tree. He brings things for everyone in the house too. Including Moi, and the dog.

3) When do you put your decorations up? – After M’s birthday on December 5th. Usually about the 2nd weekend in December. This year I was a little early because we decided to have our company party at our house. We moved into this house in October of last year, so I didn’t really get into Christmas. This year my house looks fantastic. Says me.

4) White lights or multi colored? – White on the tree. If I had any shrubbery in the yard there would be some multi colored lights on them. But alas…

5) Favorite holiday memory from childhood – Probably just spending the holidays with my family. My mom and grandmothers always made Christmas really beautiful and special. And even though we didn’t have a lot of money, there was always something wonderful under the tree. I remember Santa bringing me a bike, or a special Barbie…every year there was something exciting. One year I was in N. Idaho spending Christmas with my dad’s side of the family, and my cousin Sarah and I got out of bed at 2:00 in the morning to play in the foot of snow that had just fallen. I was probably 16 or 17, my aunt took pictures of us making snow angels in our matchy matchy Nordstrom Christmas pajamas.

6) When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? – Wha? I don’t understand this question. BELIEVE.

7) Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve? – Depends. If we spend Christmas Eve with M’s family, we exchange the gifts from his mom’s side. Everything else we open on Christmas day. As a kid it seems like we opened a few gifts at my Grandmother’s house on Christmas Eve, but not all of them.

8) How do you decorate your Christmas tree? – The aforementioned white lights, and lots of ornaments that we have collected through the years. Our ornaments are very sentimental. There are lots of “Baby’s First Christmas” ornaments dating back to 1973 and 1974, plus the truckload that Sweet Pea got in 2004.

9) What tops your tree? – An angel that moves her arms and wings. My mom has had a very similar angel on her tree for as long as I can remember. We lovingly refer to them as the Aerobics Angels, because they look like they are doing that old, “We must, we must, we must increase our bust!” exercise.

10) Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? – Giving. Half the fun of the holidays is having an excuse to shop like a madwoman. And I really try to think of interesting and thoughtful gifts. I want everything to be a fun surprise, and avoid shopping off a list if I can.

11) Snow, love it or dread it? – Love it. LOVE IT. Hate driving in piles of it, but love it just the same. Lots of snow means lots of water in the lakes in the summer time. But in April the snow has to be gone. Got that? April = spring. Or else I get a little “all work and no play makes Jack batchit crazy.”

12) Do you remember your favorite gift? – I can’t think of just one favorite, but several stand out. I have a doll that my mom bought me at St. Vincent’s the year she and my dad got divorced. The doll was wearing a hat, and was wrapped in cellophane, so she couldn’t see that some previous owner had cut all her hair off. On Christmas morning I unwrapped her, tore the hat off and looked at my mother wide eyed. Without missing a beat she said, “Mrs. Santa Clause picked you out to have that doll, she knew you would love her even without hair.” Last week Sweet Pea named that doll Alison. (My SIL did a little detective work recently and found out that “Sister” doll is 43 years old.)

13) What is your favorite holiday tradition? – I’m pretty sentimental about the holidays, but I don’t know that there is a hard and fast tradition that we have always stuck to. Some years I was with my mom and (step)dad, some years I was up north with my other dad. So, I’m totally over the top about Christmas. But there’s not one thing…Getting out all the decorations is really the part that makes me schmoopy. There is a lot of history and tradition in those boxes. I am sitting right next to my Great Grandfather’s Nativity right now. (Or as Sweet Pea refers to it, “BABY JESUS’ HOUSE!!”)

Happy Holidays!
~Clover

No comments: