Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My office is kitty corner from the Idaho State Capitol Building. And so, even though most of the politicking that takes place ‘round these parts is of the wrong flavor for moi, I am always sort of appreciative of the level of access we have here in Idaho to our public servants. Maybe it’s not any different if you work across the street from the statehouse in New York. But I’m guessing that it’s tough for the general public to wander into a lot of Governor’s offices. It’s not unusual for me to see our Governor in the gym, or walking around my building. And for various and sundry reasons (University affiliations, knowing their kids, working on their campaigns) I’ve spent some time with each of our last three Governor’s. Which isn’t all that impressive, just probably a little unusual. And a reminder that Idaho is still really really small despite the crazy urban sprawl here where I live.

Ok, so anyway, that was a long intro just so I could post this picture I took a couple weeks ago at the Inauguration. I love pomp and circumstance. Esp. when it involves high school students singing the National Anthem, and military jets zooming by.



And since there were a couple people on the platform that day who make my skin crawl, I’m posting that picture along with this quote I saw yesterday while I was standing in about the exact same location – it was printed in big letters on butcher paper and then taped with clear tape to the side of a protester’s car. He was packing up, but as far as I can tell he was solo protesting, His car had enough signage to count for a couple extra people though.

DYING IN IRAQ IS NOT A CAREER OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUNG AMERICANS.

Amen brother. Amen.

3 comments:

all the way live said...

Is it kitty corner? I always thought it was kiddy corner. Does kitty corner mean that the kitty crosses diagonally? I have just never really thought about this until today.
And, good for that one protester. War is over.

Clover said...

Hmmm...good question. I'm always wondering about prhase origin stuff. I wonder if there's a good website out there for that kind of thing.

Da da da dum...I shall Google it!
~c

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I always thought it was catercorner, although most people say "kitty."