Thursday, May 29, 2008

FYI...I found a couple new blogs/sites that I like and I'm adding them to the Me Likey list at right. One of them is Mommy Trackd and I found a cool list of books called The Anti-Princess Reading List.

Don't get me wrong, I love princesses. But it is, in fact, nice to see girls asserting themselves over things other than a date with Prince Charming and jewelry.

While we're talking about gender stereotypes, I have some questions.

1) Were you a tomboy? Girlygirl? All boy? Boy in touch with his sensitive side?

2) If you have kids, where did they fall on that spectrum and did you do anything to encourage them to step outside their little box?

My kids seem to be hard wired for gender stereotypes. Sweet Pea is very petit, she wants to wear dresses all the time. She is shy. She doesn't play rough. Her favorite toys are dolls, her pretend kitchen, dress up clothes, etc. She loves to help me in the kitchen and begs to clean the house. Sweet Will on the other hand is, at 7 months, about to outweigh his 4 year old sister. He isn't choosing GI Joe over Barbie or anything, but I can already tell that he is more physically aggressive than she ever was.

They are who they are. Obviously. I'm certainly fine with that. Just want to make sure I'm using my mommy powers for good. So any feedback anyone wants to give on encouraging your kids to be well rounded is much appreciated. (And solicited. I'm soliciting parenting advice. Me! Take advantage of it!) :)

~Clover

3 comments:

Mrs Pinchloaf said...

Hi Clover,
I'm a lurker (I found your blog through Virginia's blog), and I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant with my first child--a girl.

I was a tomboy as a child who did enjoy a Barbie and Cabbage Patch doll now and then. But I definitely loved to play OUTSIDE. I'm hoping this little girl of mine will also be a tomboy, but am prepared for a princess in the making.

My mother-in-law would be thrilled with a little princess after raising two boys.

Both my husband and I recognize that her personality will be her own, and we will love her regardless.

Clover said...

Hello! Welcome! And congratulations!

You just might get a girly girl who loves to play princess in a tree. That's kind of what I have. She is at times a fearless explorer. But she would ALWAYS prefer to be exploring in a pink dress. And when there is a herd of boys around playing rough and loud, she is glued to my legs. Interesting stuff this parenting...

Tales from the Crib said...

Well, my first son's first word was truck. At 4 years of age he can now recognize and name most cars by their full name - -Ford Mustang for example. We never fostered this. He just has always leaned towards "boy" type things. Though so far, thank goodness, he isn't pretend-shooting anything. My 2nd, just 19 months, adores most things boy-ish, too -- trains, planes, automobiles. I suppose, as a reformed girly-girl myself, I'm enjoying my 2nd childhood with boy type toys. Love your kids, foster their passions, and get down on the floor and play with them. That's all we can do in this world -- and hope and pray we don't mess our kiddos up too much! ha ha.