Thursday, May 22, 2008


Leetle Clover and Uncle Tom - it was a vintage car then too. I'm not that old.


Me at about 2 years old.

The other day we had dinner at our friends'/neighbors' house. Afterward Sweet Pea crawled up into Mr. Neighbor's lap and fell asleep. It was pretty sweet to see this big (brand new dad of a little boy the same age as Will) guy's guy with a little pink wisp of a girl snuggled up to him. I think he was pretty happy to be the stand-in dad for a little while.

When it was time to go home he carried her in the house for me and put her on the couch. I was out in the driveway putting sprinklers, bikes, chalk, etc. away when she woke up - totally confused as to how she got home, didn't know where I was, disoriented, tired, and mostly mad because she didn't want to leave the party. She freaked. Poor baby.

After I got her all calmed down, which only took about 3 minutes, I had this kind of lightening bolt of a memory. I was about 3 years old, we lived in the house that my mom and I lived in before she and my (step) dad got married. I was asleep in her bed, and we had company over. I got up, probably because I couldn't stand not being part of the fun, and tried to go out to where she was. But the room was dark, and I was disoriented. I couldn't find the door, I couldn't get back up on the bed...I have this very dreamlike memory of finally giving up and just going back to sleep on the floor.

I bet my mom doesn't remember that. Because really, it was probably a non event in the life of a mom. But I remember it! To 3 year old me it was kind of traumatic. I bet Sweet Pea will remember waking up by herself in our house when she is 34 too.

I wonder all the time what other things she's going to have vivid memories of. My first memories are from around 2-3 years old. I remember picking strawberries with my Uncle Tom in his garden. I remember playing at our old house with my friend Molly, and going next door to see Carla's big girl Barbie collection. I remember asking my mom's (then) boyfriend if I could call him Dad. (He said yes, and I still do!) I remember many trips to Coeur d'Alene with my Dad to visit my Grandparents and cousins. I have all kinds of weird memories of a road trip we took to Upstate New York the summer after I turned 4. Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Budweiser Clydesdales, going to my Aunt Jean's camp and making a chain out of Starburst wrappers with my cousin Wendy. Learning how to make yarn flowers on a plastic loom while we drove and drove and drove in a rented motor home. I even remember a funny little toy I found under the couch in that motor home. It was a turtle, and it smelled like soap.

Memory is a funny thing. I feel like mine is working against me lately. I can't remember names, which is something I always prided myself on being able to do. I can't go to the grocery store without a list. I have to write everything down at work or it's just gone. But I remember saying, "Mr. Strawberry, can I pick you?"

I'm counting on this blog to be my memory to a degree.

~Clover

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Uncle Tom and I were just talking about memory because he has been reading his diaries from 1978 on. Hilllllarious. How did we ever do the things we did and the world is so different now, that kind of old folk junk. ha. Mr. Strawberry, can I pick you? ah....

Clover said...

That's funny because I was just telling someone (uh, I can't remember who I was telling this too...crap.) ANYWAY, I was just telling someone about how my friend Jennifer and I would ride the city bus downtown to go window shopping and have lunch when we were in the 5th grade. And we were shaking our heads and saying that we just couldn't imagine letting our kids do that now...

I bet his diaries are pretty cool.