Thursday, April 16, 2009

I am not sure how to even describe the last two days. Where to begin? What to include? And on top of that, I am trying not to be a laptop hog. So forgive my brevity, but enjoy the pictures. (Some taken by me, some taken by my friend and travel partner Lisa.)

I was so stressed out about leaving on this trip that I woke up the morning of departure with a sun/stress blister the size of a small country on my top lip. It is getting better, but it still hurts. And also there is nothing fun or vacation-y like having the Herp. That part is sucky. That is the ONLY sucky part.

Getting here took a long time. Longer than a day even. But dirty airports and cheap hotels can be fun given the right company. We laughed so much getting here that Lisa lost her voice. We decided this might be a message from the Divine telling us to shut up and enjoy the silence a little. Didn't really work though. I kept talking and Lisa has gotten pretty good at hoarse whispering and sign language.

Arrival in Roatan included a few moments of praying for a runway to appear under the plane, a lot of line standing, and a sign welcoming the "Pacific Northwest Ho's." There were also some local dogs engaging in an interesting Welcome ritual. But that's for another post...

Since the second we stepped out of the airport it has been like our friends here coordinated with mother nature and the universe to give us the BEST VACATION EVER. Crystal blue waters, a made for TV sunset, a sky full of stars. And then as if I had put in a request the Caribbean produced something I have always wanted to see...A phosphorescent bay. Microscopic creatures that glow green when they are disturbed. Which means the water glows when you splash in it. Honestly, I am not even making this up.

This morning taught us our first lesson about sailing. Plans change with the winds. So instead of heading East we went back west and hung out on the most gorgeous beach I have ever seen. (Que the flying fish...)

Everything I have had to eat since we have been here has been delicious - lobster for dinner two nights in a row. And the four of us have laughed a lot. And then some more.

Tomorrow we are planning to head to the mainland by ferry. There will be a Central American Market, a waterfall, a jungle. Should be good times. Come back for more in a couple of days.

~Clover








6 comments:

wiwwa said...

So glad you took some time to share and I can't wait to hear more adventures! Love the pictures!

Tell Lisa I am totally stealing her hat when she gets home...

scarlett said...

okay girls looks like you are having way to much fun. That blue water is calling my name...can't you just hear it?! I am happy for you and there is not one twinge of jealous in my heart as I sit here at my computer working, trapped in my office without a window, checking in with middle school girls that can't manage to stay friends for two seconds, yep not one bit of jealousy!!!!

Shannon said...

That looks like pure HEAVEN. Thanks for sharing the pictures! Did you take any of the glowy water? I hope so. That sounds super cool.

All the Little Bits said...

Awesome.

jmac said...

um....wiwwa.....me don't think you wanna steal clisa's hat at all...it kinda served as a barf bag and is now in the sea!!

Tales from the Crib said...

I am DROOLING over your plate of seafood, amongst all the other words you have shared...what a great trip!