Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ok. Don't throw things at me, because this is not a post to harsh on Taylor Swift. I dig T Squeezy. Really. She's cute, and her songs are catchy, and I hear that she is a true artiste who possesses mega songwriting talent AND the brains to manage her on-it's-way-out-of-orbit career. My cell phone rings Taylor. It's all good. (Hey Taylor, love you! Smooches!)

But. (the BIG BUT.)

Ok, why is it so cool to throw the popular cheerleader types under the bus these days? I keep hearing that new song of Taylor Swifts' on the radio that goes:

But she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts
She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming bout the day when you'll wake up and find
That what you're lookin for has been here the whole time


What's wrong with short skirts? I mean, that's all there is hanging on the racks at the mall, FYI. And who says you can't be a down to earth girl who wears cute dresses? Why all the judging Taylor? WHY?

Lest you think I'm being a bit obsessive, it's not just that song. All the kids/tween shows seem to have a "mean girl" villian. And it's always a cheerleader who looks to be about 25 years old. And the hero is always a supermodel disguised as a superdork by a ponytail, some converse, and a pair of glasses. Ah, pop culture reality!

Admittedly, it's been a looooong time since I was in high school. (Ouch.) But I don't remember the cheerleaders being in a totally otherworldly league. And I don't remember anyone clawing and fighting to be the dorkiest girl in school either. Not that everyone was trying to be The Most Popular, but...uh...isn't popularity something you achieve when a lot of people like you? Seems like most people are at the very least striving to be likeable.

It is irritating to me that women are so programmed to see each other as the enemy. Guys don't seem to get into that crap like we do. Honestly, it's so silly. In my adult life I have had very few friendships fizzle. But the ones that did almost all had some element of this going on. Jealousy over weird stuff. Competativeness. Manipulation. Icky. I mean, can't you just be you, and I'll be me, and we can either enjoy each other's company or not?

Anyway. Don't really know where I was going with that. Just a little Clover rant. Now lets all have a group hug.

See, isn't that nice?

~Clover

3 comments:

Slacker Mama said...

My almost 5yo is a big Taylor Swift fan. Those lyrics don't annoy me but...

"You were Romeo, I was the Scarlett Letter..."

Oh, really? You were an adulter forced to wear a big-ass A on your clothing in Puritanical Times!?!? Drives me batty!

scarlett said...

Some how I don't think you achieve the hey let's hang together until you are at least 30. I am enjoying my "old" girlfriends way better than my young ones and since I was cheer captain well, I guess go ahead and hate me!!!

Tales from the Crib said...

love this post. I've thought the same thoughts as of late, mostly because I've found wonderful old friends on FB and realize how misconstrued HS is. On the other hand, middle school was brutal!