Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I have gotten all inspired by Lindzee over at Cordon Pink. So, from this day onward, I will be occasionally posting photojournalist style recounts of food we eat here at Casa Golightly.

OMG. I know. You are so freakin' excited you can hardly STAND. IT.

Mmmmmkay. Anyway...

Do you like how I am continuing to write this blog as though people might actually read it? I do that to make myself feel cool. And also to give myself a chuckle on those late nights when I go back and reread my blog for fun.

I know. I need therapy.

I should probably warn you in advance that I cook by looking, smelling, tasting, and generally faking it. I suck at recipes, and unless I am baking, I never measure stuff. In truth, sometimes that doesn't work out so well. But for the most part it's cool. You are just going to have to throw caution to the wind and do the same if you ever want to recreate one of these. Which is to say, all measurements are approximate. Also, I use some prepared foods to make things easier, and quite frankly, better. So if your sensibilities are going to be all offended because I didn't make everything from scratch, then. Um. Well. Sorry. (And, maybe you should drink more wine, Sister.)

But here you go. I'm starting with a Friday night fish dinner since it's Lent and all.

Not Quite as Good as Skippers, but a heckuva lot better for you Fish and Chips.

4 fillets of a mild white fish, like cod. No skin!! Ew.
1 large egg
2 tablespoons of milk
1 package of flavored mashed potato flakes. Like Idahoan brand with herbs and parmesan
salt and pepper for seasoning
Olive oil cooking spray

Your favorite frozen French fries. I prefer crinkle cut. You?

Go ahead and start making your fries as the package directs. Most frozen fries need to be baked at 425, and that’s a little hot for our fish. So I suggest getting those done first and keeping them warm while you make the fish. If you like your fries crispy, get them almost done and then keep them in the oven with the fish to crisp up. I always sprinkle mine with a little seasoning salt before they go in the oven.

Cool, or Preheat your oven to 350

In a shallow dish whisk your egg with the 2 tablespoons of milk. Open the package of potato flakes onto a plate. Season your fish fillets with salt and pepper on each side.



Dip each fish fillet into the egg mixture and coat on all sides. Immediately dredge in the potato mixture, pressing the flakes onto the fish to get a nice thick coating.



Place the coated fish on a non stick baking sheet.



Bake at 350 for 7 minutes on each side, or until the fish is no longer translucent, and flakes with a fork. Remove from the oven.

Spray the fillets lightly with the olive oil spray. Turn your broiler on and return the fish to the oven to broil until they turn a nice brown color. (About a minute.)



Serve with fries, tartar sauce, and a big green salad.

Yum!
~Clover

4 comments:

Tales from the Crib said...

YUM!!!! We do a similar fish with a brown butter sauce. It is Rachel Ray, and in her words, is YUMO!

Anonymous said...

that meal looks so good. and btw i read your blog; it's in my favorites.

Julia Kanouse said...

I read your blog too - every since you found me and left a comment. I think you are awesomely funny and enjoy checking in on you and your adorable family!

Clover said...

Aww, thanks peeps! :) This fish is kid tested and approved. Woo to the Hoo!

I made Paula Deen's gooey chocolate butter cookies yesterday and the ROCK OUT. So stay tuned...