Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mr. G and I have been following Phase 2 of the South Beach plan for a few weeks. I have to say, I really like it. It doesn't seem like a "diet" at all. In fact, with just a few modifications - buh bye potatoes - it's not much different than how we always eat 'round Casa Clover. Also, I have lost 10 lbs., thankyouverymuch. I would imagine that has romanticized mashed cauliflower just a lil’ bit. (For reals, it’s pretty good.)

After 4 weeks of eating a LOT of salad, the other day I was craving something naughty. I wanted it to be rich and savory. And completely devoid of lettuce. Fortunately for me, South Beach has a lot of room for faking decadence. So I came up with this dinner, and it completely fit the bill! It was like going to a steakhouse and ordering something that immediately upped your pants size. But, not really. Yay!


Cheesey Stuffed Pork Chops

4-5 thick cut pork loin chops

2 cups part skim mozzerella cheese
1 cup chopped spinach
½ a medium yellow onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 tbsp low fat cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1 package of French onion soup mix



Preheat your oven to 350 and spray a large covered baking dish with no stick spray.

Mix together the cheeses, spinach, onions, garlic, and salt/pepper for the stuffing. Stir well, and allow it to sit and blend for about 10 minutes at room temperature.



Meanwhile, take one of the thick cut pork chops and insert a small knife into the side to create a pocket. (Repeat for each pork chop.) Stuff the cheese mixture into each pork chop. Really push it in there with your fingers to fill the pocket.



Place the pork chops in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the French onion soup mix on top.



Bake covered at 350 for 35 minutes or until juices run clear.



The cottage cheese makes the stuffing mixture really creamy and not at all pizza like. And the onion soup gives it a very comfort food feel. Almost like it had been breaded or had a gravy of some sort. This was SO yum! My kids and husband loved it. We are going to be adding this to the rotation. I served it with roasted asparagus and a big salad. It was so rich and creamy nobody even asked about a starchy side.

Happy eating!
~Clover

2 comments:

AngMomof3 said...

Looks tasty! Love the asparagus too. :) (So, copious amounts of alcohol is allowed on the SBD?) ;)

Clover said...

Uh...What? I can't quite hear you...I think you're breaking up...