Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Having only ever owned dogs. And having always been a little mystified and, ok…slightly terrified of cats, I was inclined to believe the popular theory that cats are the smarter of the two popular pets.

No longer.

Crazier? Sure. Fuzzier? Yeah, definitely. But smarter. No freakin’ way.

I’d like to submit the following as evidence:

Yesterday at approximately 3:30 p.m. our new kitty, Oreo went outside. He’s been exploring the back yard with a little bit of supervision ever since he got here. And he always comes back in the house after a few minutes. I am certain that he feels like the King of this castle. And after doing a formal inspection of his grounds he checks back in to make sure the servants are preparing for his next whim. But yesterday he didn’t come back in right away.

I went outside and called for him. I could hear him, but I couldn’t see him. And he didn’t come running like he usually does for me. We had gymnastics to go to. So even though I am reluctant to leave him outside while we are gone – we live near a semi busy street – we did just that. Sweet Pea was beside herself.

About half way through gymnastics I had this brain flash that the kitten was probably stuck in a tree. So I sent the kids home with grandma and ran back to our house at about 6:30 p.m. to see if I could find him. When I walked into our backyard it was pretty obvious that I was right. There was a squirrel so outraged about the intrusion that he was actually making a quacking sound at my poor kitten. Oreo was about 25 feet up in a pine tree, meowing and generally looking miserable and embarrassed about his predicament. My estimate is that he’d been there at least 2 and a half hours.

It took me about 15 minutes to coax him out of the tree. At first it didn’t look like he was going to budge, and all I could think was that you probably can’t really call a fireman to handle that kind of emergency these days, can you? Then it looked like he might fall and I wondered about the truth of the 9 lives thing. But finally he got down low enough to jump into my arms. Where he immediately snuggled up in gratitude.

So I put him down on the ground. And guess what the little turd did?

Yup. Fast as lightening, right back up in the tree.

Even the birds were taunting him at that point.

I left. But in his defense, when I got home he was out of the tree.

Stupid cat.

~Clover

P.S. Oreo just jumped up into my lap, looked at the computer screen and then bit my thumb. Maybe he is smarter than I think? Well. The dog can’t read. But she’s never been stuck in the same tree twice.

1 comment:

jmac said...

um.......yes. I think you can still call fireman for emergencies such as this. It's the United States of America and it should be included in the constitution....that every woman be able to look at firemen as they climb a tree to get your 'kitty' down!!!! Heh.