Friday, October 01, 2010

Some of the reasons that you have pets is to teach your children about compassion and love and responsibility…and ultimately the circle of life. Right?

Well. The circle of life sucks. Wednesday night our kitty, Oreo, got attacked by some kind of animal in our yard. We aren’t sure what it was, possibly a raccoon. Anyway, whatever it was bit him badly and snapped his back leg. The only fix was a surgical procedure that would have cost $1,500. I wish that I could say we didn’t have to make decisions like this. But, well. We did. And so today with a lot of tears and an incredibly heavy heart I took Oreo to the vet and held his little head while he went to sleep forever.

Sometimes I think that I am a little bit emotionally detached. Like maybe I protect my heart by being funny or sarcastic or even just pragmatic. But not today. Today I am so, so, SO very sad.

I told Sweet Pea last night that there was a good chance Oreo couldn’t get well. I gave her some time to say goodbye to him. And this morning I even let her be a little late to school so she could give him one last snuggle. I’m not sure she totally understood though. And I am really dreading 3:45 today.

Right this second I am very sad. I am missing my sweet kitty, and feeling like I failed him by not keeping him inside. Or having pet insurance. Or even just having a lot of money to spend on poor little kitties who wrap you quickly around their little paws.

Oreo, you were a great kitty! You were sweet, and funny. Friendly and snuggly. And you made two kids very, very happy. I loved your comforting purr and the adorable little white stripe that ran across your bottom. I loved how you followed me around like you were a little fluffy dog. And I know that when you left dead things on the back step you did it because you wanted to show me that you loved me too. I’m glad you came into our lives, even if it was just for a very short while. I didn’t know I even liked cats before there was you, so thank you for purring your way into my heart. I promise if we ever get another kitten I won’t make the same mistakes. See you at that Rainbow Bridge!



~Clover

6 comments:

Kristy said...

:(

Julia Kanouse said...

What a beautiful post - it is pretty amazing how pets can make such a huge impact on our lives in such a short time.

clisa said...

:( :( :(

Mellisa Rock said...

I'm so heartbroken for you. I wish we never had to make decisions like that.

Clover said...

Me too!! Thanks girls. It's a week later and I am still so sad about this.

trussja said...

beautifull cat :*