Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ok. It’s day two of Spring Break week, and I’m officially feeling better about things. Not out and out cheerful or anything. But better.

It’s still stupid cold here. And grey. Pretty dreary really. But I heard a rumor that it might actually get warm and quit snow/rain/slushing by the end of the week. Just in time for us to run off to the mountains. (Where they got 10 inches of new snow this weekend. Woo.)

We had a busy day yesterday with haircuts and errand running. I planned the week’s menu and got the groceries for it. I figure if nothing else, we will eat well this week. And a lot healthier and cheaper than if we were on a big fancy Disney cruise ship, or at some chi chi Mexican resort. Sniff. Sniff.

Anyway…moving on.

I’m laughing and laughing and laughing at myself over a recent little crafty problem solver I came up with. The problem was that every time I tried to pull a necklace out of my jewelry box I ended up with a tangled mass of chains. That's not ever a good thing if you are a gold chain. It is especially irritating if you are a mom of two trying to get to work at a reasonable hour. So I decided that it was well within my capabilities to come up with a solution to this problem. And the good news is that this is a function over form issue. The only person who has to look at it is me. Well. Ok. Mr. G. has to look at it too. But this is the guy who…Ok. I’m just not even going to go there this morning. Let’s just say he doesn’t always notice when things aren’t Just So.

Admittedly, I didn’t give this a ton of thought. It went sort of like this…”What can I hang necklaces on? Hey! These are cute!” And voila, I bought floral print potholders at the dollar store. I know, right. Function over form people. Next I sewed some pearly buttons on them and hung them up.

You know what, they work! And I’ll be damned if they don’t look just exactly like something my grandmother would have come up with. I seriously channeled my inner Ethel Baby on that one. She would love them. In fact I can hear her laughing with me every time I walk into my closet and see them hanging there. The only thing that would have made them more authentic is a wooden clothespin somehow being part of the mix. I might add that just for effect.




~Clover

2 comments:

Tales from the Crib said...

in the words of all Internet bloggers -- Caaa-uuute!! Love it! I have the same problemo and haven't given thought to the solution yet, so now I don't have to. I'll just steal your idea!

And btw, my Granny was called Ella Babe. Was your Grandma Ethel Baby or is that something else entirely and I'm just confused?!

Clover said...

So, I know we live parallel lives and all that. But seriously! Ella Babe? LOL. That is too funny. Yes, my Grandma was Ethel Baby. And she was a FORCE. :)