Monday, July 18, 2011

My list of reasons for not posting more here is long and predictable. This job thing is kicking my butt.

I love my job. Really and truly I do. I am back to doing something that makes a difference in people’s lives. If you have a bit of a superhero complex like I do, you just can’t beat a career like that.

Not that staying home with my kids wasn’t impacting lives. I mean…duh. But that’s not on the table anymore. So as long as I have to go to work, I’m glad I love what I do. And bonus, my job comes with a few incredible family perks. Win. Win.

I’m doing a lot of writing at work. I think more than anything I’m all written out. And that’s been the pin in this grenade. Ok, that and my valiant attempt not to gain 20 lbs. In order to make it to my 6:00 a.m. gym date I have to go to bed really stupidly early. I’m just not one of those people who can function on less than 7 hours worth of sleep. If you know how I can change that, please share. If I could squeeze a couple more hours into the day I think I’d be a lot less stressed out.

I can’t help it. I like my stuff the way I like my stuff. It bothers me that my house is a mess. I miss planning lovely dinners. I long for organized rooms and shiny surfaces. I look sadly at neglected projects and undocumented events. (And in my head I pretend that all that stuff happened when I wasn’t working…)

But c’est la vie! We go to the lake instead of cleaning the house. We haul our laundry with us to the mountains. We hike and swim and eat takeout. And yeah, I gaine 5 lbs. (Damnit!) It is what it is. I’m learning how to be Ok with that. (And also I have threatened to leave the country if the housecleaner isn’t hired back the second school starts. So there’s that.)

Mr. G is picking up the slack in so many ways. Although its less sexy than emptying the dishwasher…he is doing a great job of documenting our summer fun. Pictures soon to come. In the meantime, here’s some stuff you might like to know:

Sweet Pea has spent the last few months becoming a world class athlete and scholar. She can now swim the full length of the pool, serve a tennis ball, hit a golf ball straight, kick a soccer ball, cross the monkey bars and…most importantly…READ.

She’s in a summer reading program - courtesy of Aunt Sue, the recently retired second grade teacher – and she’s making great strides. We were so lucky to have the first grade teacher and reading staff that we had. They got everything clicking and really lit a fire in her. This summer has been about working out some kinks. I know she’s going to have a great second grade year.

And speaking of…we’re off to a new school. As bittersweet as that decision was, we felt like we had to take advantage of the free tuition for catholic school that came with my new job. I’ve chatted with her teacher, made friends with a couple of new moms and tapped into the network of cool families we already know at St. New School. There are two uniforms hanging in her closet. I guess we’re ready! It’s going to be a big adjustment in terms of logistics and volunteer expectations. But I think it will be good. And when I think of the big picture, the fact that her school will also be part of her faith, I get a little misty eyed.

Will is absolutely hilarious right now. And also three, which means maddening. Mr. G calls him the Sour Patch kid. First he’s sour, then he’s sweet. He is so grown up suddenly. Of course I get a little sentimental about my baby getting independent. But mostly its fantastic! We can do so many big kid things now. Golfing, hiking, movies, restaurants…I love my little foursome.

We have discovered that Will has no volume control. Is that a 3 year old thing? He shouts All. The. Time. OMg, I’m not even exaggerating. By the end of the day he’s hoarse. Every day! I hope he grows out of it. If not, he’s going to be that loud guy. The good news is, the stuff he shouts is generally brilliant and really funny. He also randomly tells me how much he loves me and begs for butterfly kisses and lullabies. I’ll keep him.

I kept those babies up late last night so that they could roast marshmellows and hike around in the woods with headlamps on. They have been sleeping soundly, but I think I hear some rustling. I suppose that means it’s time to sign off for now. But since I’m on day three of my Southern Idaho Staycation, I’ll post more soon. Otherwise, it might be Thanksgivng break before you hear from me again…

A few summer snaps. Taken on my new fancy iphone and "Instagrammed." I <3 that app!

Froggy Friend

The famous Packer John's Cabin


Sailboats on Payette Lake

 Tubers on Payette Lake

 Will and Brennan feel the need for speed!

Sweet Pea's "Bird"

Flowers in my yard. 



Summer is here!

He does everything with gusto.


At the park with Miss S., our summer Mary Poppins

Another baby tooth bites the dust.


Big, BIG rock.

Hiking the Goose Creek trail.
~Clover

No comments: