Sunday, December 11, 2011

This year has been so crazy at our house. My going back to work has been an incredible blessing in so many ways, but it has been disastrous for the blog. Which is really a bummer for me. I love this blog! It’s such a history of our family life.

Sadness.

Admittedly, I’m better about posting to Facebook. (Although I do that much less now too.) It’s on my phone…and it’s easy to come up with a sentence or a quick iphone photo. When I post here I want to write. I want to post thoughtful pictures that have been edited and whatnot.

Someday I’ll be sad that I don’t have every little thing archived here. I guess not someday. NOW. Now I’m sad about that.

Le sigh.

I thought it might be fun to go through my Facebook account and post some of my favorite status updates from this year. They are below, chronologically from the end of the year to the beginning. Little snippets of life in our house. Little snippets…

I was just helping 4 year old William in the bathroom. As per my good mommy training, I said, "Nice work Will! Good job listening to your body." And he said, "I know mom. I'm a GREAT pooper. If I went to a poop festival, I would win a trophy. And I bet it would have a metal poop on top." Umkay. Yeah. Maybe we have been a little overzealous with the encouragement.

And just like that, I have two kids who can read. I guess I'm going to have to start spelling more complicated expletives. C-R-A-P!



Lauren: "I'm really thankful for Turkeys mom. Because they are yummy. (thoughtful pause) But I bet Turkeys aren't very thankful for us!" Hoping your Thanksgiving Day is filled with moments of gratitude. Big and small.

Two fabulous parent teacher conferences today. So proud of my hard working kiddos!

Will, "I need to get in the tub and wash my boobies." Lauren, "you're a boy, you don't have boobies." Will,"Oh yeah, what are these then?" Lauren, (incredulously) "Those are your pickles." Will, "Pimples?" Lauren, "Yes!" (rolling her eyes at her super un- savvy brother...)

Dear world,
Between my new job and both my kids being in new schools I have met literally a thousand new people in the last ten months. So if everyone could just wear name tags for a while, that would be SUPER helpful. K. Thanks.

Will was so excited to see frost on the ground today. Like, SO excited. Talked about it for 10 minutes straight. It was delightful to live in his wonderland for a bit. But now I'm just cold.

Will: I ate lunch with Autumn today. She's a kindergartener. Lauren: What does she look like? Will: (defensively) What? She's a girl. Lauren: I just asked what she looks like. Will: Oh, well...she has long curly hair, a nose and two eyes.

How did I end up at karaoke on a school night???

Happy 4th Birthday to my little man. Wow, how these four years have flown by!!


Happy "Lucky 13th" Anniversary to my Prince Charming, my Best Friend, my Soul Mate, my Babydaddy, and the only guy who can stand living with me...I love you Mr. G! You’re the berries.

Why didn't I take any pictures at the party we went to last night??? Now you guys are just going to have to take my word that I was in an incredible house, eating uber delish food like little ahi bites on sesame crackers, fancy little sliders, and jalapeƱo cheese puffs, while looking fabulous in borrowed stilettos with all my girls.

Went to my first all school Mass with the St. School kids today. Pretty moving to hear all those little voices singing and praying together.


Citizens of Earth...Never fear! We are safe from the evil Dr. Toilet Paper Roll. SuperKitten has destroyed it. It joins the fallen villains PaperTowelasaur, Mr. Homework, and The Tissue Box. The world can rest easy tonight. But SuperKitten knows that lurking in the shadows are an endless supply of evil paper products. And so he sharpens his claws and waits...

Yesterday we found one of the goldfish floating in the bowl. Lauren immediately announced that it was Will's.


So proud of my girl on her first day at a new school! She put on a brave face this morning, and by noon she was telling me she loves her new school! Yay! And phew!

Sometimes God comes to you disguised as your life.


Mr. G is either going to get a great pic of this barn, or a farmer is going to shoot at us for trespassing. Hard tellin' which.

Me: "Will, please be quiet and let your sister sleep so she will be a happy camper today." Will, "WE'RE GOING CAMPING???!!!" Let the daily (unintentional) crushing of his spirit begin.

Got my annual "dumb mom" sunburn. You know, the one you get when you spend the morning making sure the kids are covered in SPF 50, have their hats, goggles, snacks, beverages, floaties, towels, sand toys, etc. And then after 4 hours at the lake you realize you never asked anyone to help get that part of your back that you can't reach. I'm crispy. Prepared, but crispy. Damn.


Yesterday Will was afraid to get his face wet. Today I bought him some goggles, and no lie, he learned to swim. OMg, someone slow this crazy ride down!!


Thank you to everyone on Payette Lake who let us sit on their dock, play in their sand, ride in their boats, eat their food and drink their beer. This was one for the books!




McCall Friends, we have decided to let you fight over who gets to host us at their lakefront/boat-ready retreat tomorrow. You can start your bidding here. We take bar-tending staff, gourmet buffets, and fireworks viewing locales into consideration when making our decision. Go...

We took some items to the thrift store, including a chair. Will's reaction was straight off that hoarder show on A&E. He threw his body across the chair and wailed, "I'll miss you chair!" I had to make up a story about the chair's happy new life. So just for fun, Mr. G told him we were going to get rid of the couch too.

Lauren just informed Will that she is the Queen and he is the servant. Then she demanded that he bring her "a glass of martini." Who is that kid's mother???

Will: Dad, can I have chocolate milk for breakfast? Mike: I don't know buddy, that sounds a little... Will: Undignified?

I really hope 5/21 isn't the end of the world. I have Wicked tickets.



Happy Mother's Day to all my beautiful girlfriends! I'm thinking that all the stretch marks, sleepless nights, diapers, barf, smashed tubes of lipstick, whiney fits and temper tantrums to date have been absolved via a homemade card with a hand print and a poem in it. Hope your day is just as schmoopy. Or, that you get sent to the spa. Either way...



Happy Birthday to my beautiful girl!! Being your Mama for the last seven years is my greatest joy!

Navigating tomorrow without getting fired or causing my child psychological damage is going to require a bend of the space time continuum. I need some Harry Potter powers and I need 'em quick.

Will would like to let the other 3 year olds of the world know that flushing an entire roll of TP at once is, in fact, a VERY bad idea.

Will told me tonight that he has an itchy spagheeto bite.

No comments: